resistant strain, newly diagnosed & longevity

Dear Dr. Young,

As you probably know I read with great interest your and your collegues answers to our questions.

It was encouraging to read that you 'are pretty damned sure' that newly diagnosed hiv patients can expect to live a long and productive life.

Now my question: is this also true for patients who are infected with a resistant strain as long as they have acces to treatment care and are adherent to meds.

I'm looking forward to your answer.

Dutch Guy

Dear DG,

Thanks for your post and comments. The answer to your question depends a little on exactly what pattern of drug resistance your referring to.

For the majority of transmitted drug resistance cases, resistance is relatively limited. With single drug class resistance, if a fully active drug regimen can be constructed, I think that my prognostication still holds. From this, the importance of getting the best possible resistance test data before launching into treatment is clear. Access to care, and especially adherence is essential for those with drug resistance, whether transmitted or not.

Hope this helps, BY

Is this report anything new?
need meds?