dry caugh

Dear Doctors,

My last lab result was CD4 456, Virus load 5700 two months ago. Last week, I began feel dry in my lung, and began to dry cough three days ago. I even caugh blood one time. Sometimes I can cough off mucus. I went to see primary physician. The chest X-ray is normal. TB skin test is negative, no bump at all. My ID doctor is on vacation. I am worried if I alread had TB infection. I am anxiouwly waiting for your answer.

Rick

Dear Rick,

Your high CD4 and negative chest x-ray are reassuring. I would not jump to the conclusion that this is TB. More likely you have a bacterial or viral infection. TB is typically is accompanied by weight loss and night sweats. If you can cough some sputum, this can be examined under the microscope to look for TB and also cultured to see if it grows.

If your symptoms persist, see your doctor when he/she returns.

Future and med choices
Itching and Breathing Difficulties