Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Future and med choices
Jul 16, 2007

Hi Doctor My Background: just started treatment (Oct 06)nadir 237-22%,VL 37K follow up test was 526,23% I think my doc should have repeated test before recommending treatment, but I digress.

-Atripla (Current#'s687,32% VL UDw/in first 6 weeks. Given that history,How likely is it that I can keep my vl <50 for decades.?My MD didn't do a resistance test until I was at about 1200, no resistance shown I read so much about the threat of resistance, yet it seems to contradict the optimism on this site. I'm thankful for the optimism, don't get me wrong. But with so many mutations constantly occurring w/in the body, how can it be so likely that people can make a regimen last a lifetime? Thanks for your time

Response from Dr. Wohl

I do not know that any current regimen can "last a lifetime". Certainly, they can be effective at suppressing HIV replication for years. Why do they fail, you can count the ways. Anyway, the idea is that if you reduce the number of replications then the risk of resistance falls. Mutations develop when virus is making copies of itself. Bring that to a stand still and a rare chance mutation becomes infinitely rarer.

You make a good point about transmitted resistance (drug resistance virus that was transmitted during infection). About 15% of people will have a major mutation against an HIV med prior to starting HIV therapy - typically a mutation against the NNRTIs (efavirenz, nevirapine). Thus, 85% will not. Still, a resistance test should be done prior to starting meds. The good news is that if you had pre-existing resistance, it likely would have been seen with the on-treatment genotype.

DW

Previous
alli Orlistat interact with HIV?
Next
dry caugh

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.