Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Newly diagnosed low viral load
Jul 16, 2007

I found out the end of September 2006 that I had become HIV positive. At that time my CD4 was 772 and Viral load was 1,600 33% In January 2007 my CD4 was 809 and Viral load was 2,700 33% then in April 2007 my CD4 was 809 and Viral load was 1,200 with a 30%

My question is my last visit with my ID Doctor he told me that he didn't want to see me again for a year. Is this normal for a person with HIV? I still have to go in every 3 months for blood work. Also in this time I had a Genotype test done. I was told I had no mutations, And that I would be able to take any of the medications when I decided to start. But my ID doctor does not want to put me on med's yet. What do you feel I should do?

Thank you for any advise you may give. Billy

Response from Dr. Pierone

The good news is that your viral load is much lower than the typical person infected with HIV. This suggests that your rate of CD4+ lymphocyte count loss will be slower than average as well.

Since your situation is unusual, you probably don't need blood tests every 3 months as most people do. It would be reasonable to have your blood checked every 6 months at your levels to make sure things remain stable. If there is an increase in the viral load or a significant drop in the CD4+ lymphocyte count then you could increase the testing frequency to every 3 months.

Good luck!

Previous
Presista and Sulfa
Next
alli Orlistat interact with HIV?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.