a tough diagnositc problem

Dr

I was diagnosed 17 months ago now after being very ill with weight loss, dry cough, KS, sweats etc and CD4 136 12% VL>100,000. Started on Sustiva/Truvada immediately and eventually after 9 month achieved VL<40 CD4 320 18%. Currently VL <40 CD4 380 20%. Weight increase, KS reduction/fading, no cough, no sweats and returned to work full time. Thats the good news. However I experience morning loose stools, poor sleep because of the meds but I can put up with that - its keeping me alive. However recently I have experienced really severe pain in my left lower abdomen, going right to my groin area often following the loose bowel movement. I have had x rays which showed nothing, kidney function test that showed nothing but a blood test that showed low Albumin levels. A urine test showed no infection and the hospital seems lost to explain it. Age 39 male non smoker, don't really drink, no drugs and 100% adherent. Any suggestions?

Since your symptoms involve left lower abdominal pain and diarrhea it seems logical to raise the possibility of colonic inflammation - colitis. Sometimes pain originating in the colon may radiate to the groin.

The medical evaluation of your problem might include stool studies to rule out infection and inflammation, colonoscopy, and a CT scan of the abdomen. The decision to proceed with these tests, and the order in which they are done should be discussed with your clinician.

I wish you the best of luck and please let us know how things turn out.

Starting HIV Meds Early
When i relocate back to the usa...?