Hep C & NASH

I have Hep C & NASH and just started tx with ribo & interferon. Can I take SAM-e with this? My liver biopsy said I was stage 3 teetering towards stage 4, I know I have to get rid of the Hep, but what can I do for the NASH. Is NASH ever halted with Hep C tx?

Hello, and thanks for posting.

It is not known if SAM-e is good or bad take along with interferon and ribavirin. In order to keep things simple, it might be best to keep this medication on the back burner.

NASH stands for non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. This condition involves fatty infiltration of the liver and may lead to the development of liver fibrosis and cirrhosis. Weight loss is probably the most effective treatment for NASH, but it is difficult to achieve.

In some cases NASH is linked to hepatitis C infection, especially genotype 3. So probably the first order of business is clear the hepatitis C infection. After this has been accomplished, then you can see what happens with the NASH. This may require a repeat liver biopsy, but a liver specialist should be able to give you some guidance at that point in time.

I hope this information helps and best of luck to you!

Are pets ok with HIV?
Starting HIV Meds Early