Split Epzicom in Half?

Hello, Im a 52 year old mom positive since 1988.

The past 5 years Ive taken Trizivir and Viramune. I changed to Epzicom and Viramune 28 days ago. My hope was to reduce the severe fatigue I suffered while on Trizivir and Viramune by taking AZT out of the med mix. Sadly, this does not seem to be the case. I have the same fatigue with odd sweats that occur day or night. My menopause symptoms have thus far been controlled by a Vivelle dot 0.05 mg, so Im reluctant to attribute sweats to menopause.

From GSK, I cant find an answer to the question, which is: Can I cut Epzicom in half and take it with Viramune twice a day? Will the extent of absorption be affected by splitting the tablet in two? From the info below, it seems reasonable to think I cant tolerate the higher dose of Ziagen.

quote from GSK: Patients receiving ZIAGEN 600 mg once daily, experienced a significantly higher incidence of severe drug hypersensitivity reactions and severe diarrhea compared to patients who received ZIAGEN 300 mg twice daily. 5% of patients receiving ZIAGEN 600 mg once daily had severe drug hypersensitivity reactions compared to 2% of patients receiving ZIAGEN 300 mg twice daily. 2% of patients receiving ZIAGEN 600 mg once daily had severe diarrhea while none of the patients receiving ZIAGEN 300 mg twice daily had this event.

Thanks for all your great work!

I would not cut the Epzicom pill in half. There can be variablity in the dose in each half that can potentially cause trouble.

If you want a symmetrical twice a day regimen you could take Ziagen 300 mg, Epivir 150 mg and Viramune 200 mg each twice daily. That would be three pills twice a day.

I would have the sweats checked out by your HIV doc. A repeat viral load should be drawn about now as you have been off of AZT for about a month.

Sustiva and food
Atipla - dosage