AZT and lipoatrophy

I keep hearing lately that AZT is implicated in causing lipoatrophy, along with d4t. when was this connection made. I was switched from d4t to azt a few years ago in order to avoid FURTHER lipo. is my Doc. just a twit or did he seriously not know?

There are studies which show AZT may lead to lipoatrophy, but it is not as bad as d4T (Zerit) in this regard. It's hard to say exactly when a scientific consensus emerges which links a medication to a specific side effect, but the connection of AZT and lipoatrophy have been known for at least several years. Studies clearly show that tenofovir (Viread) is less likely than either of these agents to produce lipoatrophy and this one of the reasons it is being used more frequently now. It would be useful to bring up this issue with your clinician now to see if his knowledgebase is up-to-date. If not, then a second opinion would be in order. Good luck to you!

lipodystrophy - need surgeon in LA
CD4 plateau?