CD4 count not increasing

Dear Doctor I had serious peumonia in at the beginning of this year in China and I did not know I was HIV postive. The doctor found it out later when I was hospotalized. My CD4 count was 60 in March 2007. I started D4t, 3tc and NVP immediately. One month later, my CD4 count was 90. But after another two months, my CD4 count is now still 90. I dont have any infections now. My peumonia has recovered and I feel great,never fatigued. I can live as if I am not HIV postive. Doctor, can you please tell me why my CD4 count is not increasing in the last two months? In China, virus load is seldom tested so i never know my virus load.

Your early answer will be great appreciated.

Peter

Dear Peter,

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.

I wouldn't interpret your CD4 count lab tests as saying that your counts have not improved. Rather, going from 60 to 90 is a 30 cell, or 50% increase in just one month. If I were your doctor, this early test would be very encouraging.

Keep up with the adherence and drop us a note from time to time to let us know how you're doing.

Best of health, BY

CD4 up and down
Liver medicines