Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD4 count not increasing
Jul 6, 2007

Dear Doctor I had serious peumonia in at the beginning of this year in China and I did not know I was HIV postive. The doctor found it out later when I was hospotalized. My CD4 count was 60 in March 2007. I started D4t, 3tc and NVP immediately. One month later, my CD4 count was 90. But after another two months, my CD4 count is now still 90. I dont have any infections now. My peumonia has recovered and I feel great,never fatigued. I can live as if I am not HIV postive. Doctor, can you please tell me why my CD4 count is not increasing in the last two months? In China, virus load is seldom tested so i never know my virus load.

Your early answer will be great appreciated.

Peter

Response from Dr. Young

Dear Peter,

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.

I wouldn't interpret your CD4 count lab tests as saying that your counts have not improved. Rather, going from 60 to 90 is a 30 cell, or 50% increase in just one month. If I were your doctor, this early test would be very encouraging.

Keep up with the adherence and drop us a note from time to time to let us know how you're doing.

Best of health, BY

Previous
CD4 up and down
Next
Liver medicines

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.