A brand-new horizon by switcing Zerit to Viread?

Hi dear phisician, I'm brazilian and I'm taking Stocrin ( since 2002 in replacement of Crixivan ) along with 3TC+D4T ( these both since 1998 ), due to side effects worsened my doctor is about to change this combo for a new one Stocrin/Tenofovir/3TC and she told me that maybe the fat I've lost by lipodistrophy might be replaced in a long term, the peripheral neuropathy halted and the blood parameters ( Triglicerides, Sugar and Cholesterol ) lessen to a quite normal rate. Should I expect such blessing into my life or it's not guaranteed? Is it true that this new combo is more likely to present bone related problems as Osteopenia in comparison with the previous with D4T? I'd like to thank you in advance and hope that my question might be answered. Best regards

Hello, and thanks for posting.

Switching from d4T (Zerit) to tenofovir (Viread) is quite reasonable and would be expected to lessen the chance that lipoatrophy will progress. Some patients also note improvement of the peripheral fat after the changeover. Another expected benefit would be an improvement in lipid levels, especially triglycerides. It is not clear if osteopenia (bone thinning) will be a greater problem with Viread, but the emerging data suggest that it will not be an issue.

Good luck!

When should I strart treatment?
Starting Meds Before Current Reccomendations