Selenium for HIV?

Hi, I've recently been diagnosed H.I.V.+ and I was wondering if it's a good idea to take Selenium as well as the combo my doctor has prescribed to me?

There was a trial performed in Nigeria which showed better CD4+ lymphocyte count increases in subjects who received selenium. Here is a link to the abstract which was presented at the International AIDS Conference in 2006. However, the nutritional status of HIV-infected patients in Nigeria may have been very different from the situation in developed countries, so one would have to extrapolate this data based on its context. But there is very little downside risk to selenium supplementation, so this would be a reasonable approach to take. Additional study would certainly be welcome.

Doctor NYC
what is b-DNA?