Atripla Dosage + Body Weight

Help! I have been HIV+ for 2 years, and am just starting meds, as my t-cells have now dipped below 350. My doc has prescribed ATRIPLA, which I have only been taking for 1 week now. However, I feel absoultely horrible --- major fatigue, headache, nausea, light-headedness, jittery, etc. I understand it may take 3-4 weeks for side effects to subside. My question: I weight only 138 lbs (not underweight), but it appears the same dosage is standard for all adults. Is it likely I will have more side effect problems because of my size/weight? If a 250 man is taking the same strength as I am, it seems like his body may adapt better than mine. Your thoughts, please? Thanks!

BostonWorrier

Thanks for your post.

There's only one dose for Atripla-- whether you weigh 138 or 250. This is largely because the dose of medication is determined by your lean weight- something that varies less from person to person.

If you're having significant side effects (sounds like your's are the result of the efavirenz part), make sure that you're taking your Atripla on an empty stomach (since taking efavirenz with food in the stomach tends to increase the drug levels and potentially increase side effects).

Hope this is helpful. BY

Confused
hiv and pregnacy