South Africa

Due to my HIV status I will probably have to move back to South Africa. My partner who is American is currently on Atripla. This is not currently available in South Africa, rather the individual components are.The current South Africa first-line therapy is d4T+3TC+Efavirenz. Would there be any benefit to changing to this (apart from the HUGE cost savings)? I would prefer to not change his regimen unless there are some benefits that I am not aware of?Also, are the any programs whereby we could continue to order Atripla from the US? Could you get partnership prescription assistance out of the country? Sorry for the 100 questions.

Thanks for your post. I didn't count 100 questions, but I'm happy to help either way.

It's clear that your partner's Atripla regimen will likely be better tolerated that the d4T-containing one, particulary with regard to risk of lipoatrophy and peripheral neuropathy (studied head-to-head in the Gilead 903 trial). Indeed, d4T-based treatments have dissappeared from treatment guidelines here in the US, but are still (unfortunately) used in other countries for precisely the reason that you cite- cost.

If it's possible, I'd consider finding the uncombined parts of Atripla or similar regimen- tenfovir, FTC (or 3TC) and efavirenz. Another approach would be to use AZT/3TC (Combivir) with efavirenz. Both remain on current treatment guidelines, the later I'm certain is available in RSA.

Safe travels. BY

long-term prednisone
Does Altripla prevent HIV