HELP, mother diagnosed with PML

My mother was just diagnosed with AIDS last week and also PML. Her T-Cell count is at 54. She had a brain biopsy done 4 weeks ago due to cat scan that reveiled a lesion on the brain. The doctors are not giving me a clear picture as to what is going on with my mother. They started her out on her meds last week she is taking Kaletra, Truvada, and Sastiva (I am sorry these may be wrong I don't have my notes in front me). I feel so lost in everything and I don't know what to expect? Should I seek a second opinion for my mother? Please shed some light? Thank you!!!!

PML is an acronym for progressive multi-focal leukoencephalopathy which a brain infection caused by papovavirus. This is a very serious infection and the outcome is often not good. The only proven effective strategy is to start medications for HIV and hope that resultant immune reconstitution brings the PML infection under control.

If you have any question about the judgment or knowledge base of the medical team taking care of your mother then you should ask for a second opinion, but it sounds like she is on appropriate therapy. The most important thing with PML is to start a potent antiretroviral regimen and this combination should be more than sufficient to achieve an undetectable viral load. Hopefully this works for your mother and brings her condition under control. Good luck!

cd4 count went down, should I be concerned?
Side effects from regimen, which to stop?