The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

high risk hpv
Jun 17, 2007

Recently had anal pap smear. They found whole list of high risk types (almost all. Thay also noted abnormal cells. my score was 9.7 which they said was high. I am having an autologous stem cell transplant for HIV related Plasmablastic Non-Hodgkins. I have been in first CR for 6 months. I had anal warts (suspected). They were frozen and have not returned. They want to do a anal scope to see if I have a squamous lesion inside. I have no syptoms, normal bowel movements no pain. I do not want the colonoscopy as I avoid all invasive procedures. Please advise if this is overkill and if I have a good argument to refuse. I know there is much controversy as to whether high risk hpv even causes anal cancer.Do I have an argument against the procedure

Response from Dr. Pierone

It would be prudent for you to consider anoscopy with planned ablation of intra-anal dysplasia (if identified). This would be analogous to a female having colposcopy for management of an abnormal cervical PAP smear. A complete colonoscopy may not be necessary unless you are over 50 years old or have a family history of colon cancer. I don't think that there is controversy about the linkage of high-risk HPV to anal cancer but rather the controversy is whether screening and early pre-emptive treatment can prevent anal cancer from developing. It makes intuitive sense that this strategy would work, but to my knowledge there are no controlled trials that prove this approach is effective.

Tired of Being Tired
cd4 count went down, should I be concerned?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint