What class of meds am I on?

Dear Doctors Ive been on meds since 2004. Im health, CD4 532 (32,2%), VL undetectable. I take Duovir (Lamivudine and Zidovudine) and Efavirenz. What class of meds are those? Another question: Zidovudine means AZT, right? And Ive heard that AZT causes lipoatrophy. Should I be worry about that? Until now, I didnt notice any problem in my face, arms and legs.

Hello, and thanks for posting.

The regimen you are on is a combination of nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (Duovir, Combivir, AZT+3TC) and a non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (efavirenz, Sustiva). Zidovudine is AZT and this medication is linked to development of lipoatrophy, although to a lesser extent than d4T (Zerit). Viread (tenofovir) is less likely to cause lipoatrophy and has outperformed AZT in clinical trials so the trend has been to use Viread instead of AZT in regions of the world where it is available.

That said, there are people who have been on AZT for many years with no evidence of lipoatrophy so it does not necessarily occur.

How do I find a doctor for my son?
devastating acute phase/low VL