Is it time to re-start meds?

Hi I was diagnosed in April 2002 and have been on meds since then,I was taken off med (Ziagen and 3TC, AZT was taken out of my combo because of bad side effects)in December 2006 due to liver problems, up until then I was undetectable with a CD count of 1080..my numbers to date are, CD 650, VL 33,800 with a percentage of 57. My I.D Doc wants me to start meds again now..Tenafovir, Emtriva and Alazanvir, I'm not sure if this is the right time to start again, my numbers are still pretty good, do you think it is wise to re-start or can I hold off for a while longer.

My numbers have been dropping slowly over the last 4 months..from 1080 to 650, any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

I wonder what your CD4 cell count was right before you started meds. A high count would tip me toward waiting and a low count, the other way.

It would also be important to know if the CD4 percent has also declined. IF so, a restart of meds can be considered, however, at what point to re-start has much to do with your comfort level. Certainly, I would recommend a re-start before the CD4 falls below 500 or so - no data just my preference.

If the CD4 percent has not declined much, I might hold tight.

Tenofovir + Emtriva can be taken with atazanavir only if Norvir is also taken due to a drug interaction wherein tenofovir lowers the level of atazanavir in the blood. Norvir counteracts that interaction.

HIV transition from father to baby
drinking and atripla