Starting meds with a lower CD4 count

I have heard many times that people starting meds with a lower CD4 count are likely to have problems in the future and possibly a shorter life expectancy than people starting treatment before cd4 count falls below 200. This seems to be supported by guidelines that suggests a treatment break shouldn't be considered by people that have started meds with a lower cd4 count/high viral load even if their cd4 has gone up consistently. Could you explain the reason behind it? A friend suggested that the immune system of people with a higher cd4 count is capable of fighting infection from A to Z while a compromised immune system doesn't perhaps recognise infection M, Q and R for example, and because the new CD4 cells are created out of the "weaker" ones the immune system of a person that had damages in the past will never be as good as that of someone that started HAART treatment earlier. Is my friend right? I am sorry for the long question, but I am very interested in this subject.

It is unclear how the prognosis of a person with a CD4 cell count that falls below 200 but then rises to high levels on HIV therapy is different from another whose CD4 is keep high with meds. Your friend is correct in that there can be lasting damage done to the immune system such that the full repertoire of responses to organisms may not be present.

However, to what extent these deficits affect prognosis is not clear and they likely vary significantly by person.

switching medication
HIV transition from father to baby