Your opinion please?

In Hi Dr.Pierone, Fellow South Floridian here! Thanks for all the honesty and encouragement!

Background- started Atripla- 1st go with meds in Oct 06. My nadir count 10/06/06 cd4 237, cd4%22, 11/26/06 cd4 526, cd4%22,02/07 cd4 516, cd4% 24, Now here's the kicker...my last one mid-May cd4 681, cd4%31.... My doctor already has said that my first reading of 237cd4 was probably an artificial low/lab error, and based on my next 2 readings, I was probably in the 500 range.since they(2nd and 3rd) were both so close and I was over 500 after only 4weeks on the Atripla. 1st VL 10/06was 37K and have been UD since 11/06, after only 5 weeks... Should I be very encouraged as this sounds like an excellent prognosis? (and I'm also asymptomatic.45yrs old..) I guess I've been infected about 8-10 years. Or does that last reading sound like another lab error? I asked my MD if that isn't an unusual % increase, and she said not a common one, but some people like myself respond very well to meds....Please, your opinion? At 45, can I really live to be an old man?

You have had an excellent response to therapy based on the undetectable viral load five weeks into therapy. The typical pattern after initiation of HAART is to see the absolute CD4 count increase along with the CD4+ lymphocyte count percentage. The first reading may have been a lab error, but just as likely it could have been accurate since there is very often substantial fluctuation in the CD4 numbers. I suppose it doesn't really matter because over the coming months you will get more readings with which you can establish a long-term trend.

My teenage daughter would say that at 45 you already are an old man :)

So that means you can expect to live to be become a really old man.

Let us know how things turn out and best of luck to you!

Patient from overseas
Pap Smear for Male's