youngster with HIV infection

my doc says that hiv untreated is lethal , but that nowadays, adding the integrase inhibitor, our virus wont bother if we follow therapy as directed. I am starting to think that every time there are more and more survivors.. long term ones... do u see it with your patients? is it true that early diagnosis is a plus? love your work, john, 17 year old with hiv

Hello and thanks for posting.

It is true that with the advances in antiretroviral therapy, long-term survivors are becoming more and more common and I am seeing this positive trend in my patients as well. Also, making an early diagnosis allows one to intervene before opportunistic infections and complications occur, so this is definitely a plus. The other good news is that advances in antiretroviral therapy, including integrase inhibitors, have improved therapeutic options.

Good luck!

Allergic to Efavirenz and Abacavir Sulfate, what next?
Atripla side effects, mostly fatigue and ability to study