What is the best drug to treat trigeminal neuralgia with hiv meds?

I had bouts of trigeminal neuralgia for the last year. My MRI is normal and I am taking Videx ec, Viread, and Lexiva for hiv. I took carbamazepine for the TN but couldnt tolerate the side affects. I started taking Amitriptyline a few days ago but the trigeminal neuralgia pain has returned. What is the best drug to take for trigeminal neuralgia that can be taken with my hiv meds?

Hello and thanks for posting.

There are a number of different agents which are effective in controlling the pain of trigeminal neuralgia.

Depakote (valproic acid) would be a reasonable choice for someone who cannot take Tegretol (carbamazepine). Other medications which have been used for trigeminal neuralgia include Neurontin, and Lyrica. These medications are used together with HIV medications quite commonly.

Best of luck to you!

Reyataz vs Viramune
Same meds 5 years - why CD4 jumping higher?