Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Reyataz vs Viramune
Jun 3, 2007

I tested positive in November 2006 and guess I was exposed in August 2006. I have had 3 blood tests between Dec and March - viral loads of 360,000, 550,000 and 710,000 and CD4 counts of 260, 340, and 280. My HIV doctor recommends I start treatment and originally suggested Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada or Atripla. I liked what I've heard about Atripla except having to take it at bedtime on an empty stomach. I have a strong family history of heart disease, somewhat high LDL and low HDL and am on 10 mg lipitor. I am concerned about the possible affects Norvir and Reyataz will have on lipids/heart disease/body composition. I would like to know what would be thought to be the prefered treatment for someone like me. I'd also like to know if Viramune would be a good alternative and why it isn't listed as part of a prefered regiment.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello and thanks for posting.

For someone with the family history of heart disease and lipid issues it would be preferable to avoid protease inhibitors if possible.

So the choice is between Atripla (which contains Viread, Emtriva, and Sustiva) and Truvada and Viramune. Viramune generally leads to a better lipid profile than Sustiva. But the reason that Viramune is not on the preferred regimen list is because of the low, but real, risk of liver toxicity. The main period of risk of Viramune-associated liver toxicity is during the first several months of therapy. Once someone gets past this initial timeline, then it is a very well tolerated medication. The risk of Viramune-associated liver toxicity is greater in women with greater than 250 CD4 cells and in men with greater than 450 CD4 cells. So, if you are a woman, then starting Viramune at this level would be somewhat risky, but if you are a man it would be a reasonable approach.

I hope that this information helps and best of luck to you!

Previous
Just got the shock of my HIV positive status
Next
What is the best drug to treat trigeminal neuralgia with hiv meds?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.