Just got the shock of my HIV positive status

I was ok feeling good and my beck glands started showing up, i went to the docor who asked me to do HIV test and i got my result that am positive with cd4 count 295 and vral load 3000. I dont feel sick, i had flu but it dispeared. my doctor has put me on some antibodies for a month and i should go back after a month. she advices me that i need to be ready for the HIV treatment but i need to prepare my self. what preparations i need to do? is it possiple to know when was i infected? what else i need to do stay healthy?

Hello, and thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear about your new diagnosis of HIV infection. There is really no way to know when you became infected unless you have had prior HIV testing.

How does one prepare oneself to start HIV medications? I suppose the main thing is to get psychologically ready for the prospect of taking and adhering to an antiretroviral cocktail on a daily basis without fail. There are also logistical issues involved such as finding a payor source for the medications. This may be ensuring continuation of health insurance, or for those without insurance, getting established with the AIDS drug assistance program serving your region.

Another way to prepare is to educate yourself as much as possible about the regimens which are available for treatment of HIV infection and potential risks and benefits of these agents. The starting treatment forum on this web site is certainly a good starting place.

The other ways to stay healthy are to exercise regularly, consume a prudent well-balanced diet, avoid excessive alcohol intake, avoid tobacco products and secondhand exposure to them, avoid drugs of abuse, maintain a positive mental attitude, find a job or avocation that you have a passion for, and strive to develop relationships with loving and supportive friends.

Let us know how things go and good luck!

HELP I've had to stop my meds for a short time
Reyataz vs Viramune