treatment during seroconversion

I was infected in sept 06, in early October I was given viral load test, came back positive for the virus with 375,000 viral load,CD4 725. HIV test showed still negative.I was put on meds 1 week after that test ,then at end of October, HIV test came back positive, what are the benefits of staring threatment during seroconversion? will that benefit me in the long run? can I stop meds in the future ? will the amount of virus be less in every tissue because of early intervention? I am on truvada and reyataz ,doing great no side effects at all , some liver results just a little bit high . I dont feel i want to be on meds for the next 40 years. was that the right desicion? please give me your honest opinion. tnxs

Hello, and thanks for posting.

Although we don't have proof of long-term benefit, there are data which suggest that immediate treatment of HIV before seroconversion may reduce the burden of disease and improve outcomes.

Most of these studies have included a plan to stop treatment after an initial treatment phase. In your case, at some point, you can stop therapy and see what the viral set point is and where your CD4+ lymphocyte count settles. This is really the only way to possibly know if this prompt initiation of therapy lowered your viral load. I say possibly, because there is no way to know what your numbers would have been absent therapy. There is no set amount of time for medications to be continued in your situation, but 6 or 12 months of HAART is a common trial design.

In any case, I do think that starting medications right away in the midst of seroconversion seems prudent given the information we have at hand.

Let us know what you decide to do and how things turn out for you. Good luck!

Thanks Doctor Young
High grade dysplasia (anal)