chance of getting aids almost zero?

Dear Doctor Young,

First of all I want to thank you and and your collegues for this fantastic site!

When I found out I was diagnosed HIV positive I was devastated. I thought: 'This is the end of me, I've lost everything, will I see my children grow up?'My doctor (who is treating hiv patients for a very long time) said that of course finding out is really traumatic for many people but he also said that I need to see this infection in the right perspective.

He told me that as long as I am dedicated to treatment and as long as I am adherent to medication (when I need them) the chance of getting aids is almost zero. Of course being HIV positive is a really serious condition, but in the developed world it's not like as it was in the eighties and people still recall images of that era which isn't the image of HIV today (in the western world). So i asked him: 'Can i expect to become an old man?' He answered: 'Well you're of course not a washing machine so I won't give guarantees. But I really expect you to see your little toddlers graduate and to start families of their own as long as you live a normal and regular life. And please go on with the things you've planned for the future and keep on saving money for retirement'

Well I'm a regular 38 year old guy. Still feel physically great, I don't drink, hardly smoke, no drugs and I have a good income as a self employed entrepeneur.

How do you regard my docs words. Is he realistic you think?

Thank you very, very much!

Dutch guy

Dear Dutch guy,

Thanks for your post and nice words.

If you read my other replies on the Forum, you'll know that I'm in agreement with your doctor.

Assuming that a few things go right and that your willing to take medications when they're needed, there's no reason to think that you won't live to be an old man. In this vein, I also recommend that my patients (especially those recently diagnosed) continue to plan and save for retirement.

Best of long-term health to you. BY

Starting treatment within 6 months after infection
Thanks Doctor Young