Medication Combinations

I have been HIV+ since 4/06 and immediately went on medications. I started with Sutstiva and Truvada, then to Atripla 6 months ago, but have had little changes in my labs. My doctor and I are concerned that I have not went "undetectable" considering my 100% medication compliance and excellent health otherwise. He has decided to add AZT to the Atripla. Do you think this is the best option for me?

Thanks for your post.

I share your concerns. You should have reached undetectable levels within 6 months (at most) after starting on a regimen-- you're well past this time point.

Did your doctor perform drug resistance testing before starting? One real possibility is that your virus was already resistant to one or more of the medications in your regimen.

The real issue now isn't whether intensification with AZT is right, but rather to do resistance testing on your (dectable) virus. That is the best option for you. If you were my patient, I'd be asking for both genotypic and phenotypic tests to best assess what to use next.

Best of luck, BY

change of regimen from Videx and Zerit
question