Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

smoking is bad for me?
Apr 23, 2007

What is the effect of smoking on CD count, cd%? If smoking does have an effect, to what magnitude? Lets say a a pack a day, with a cd% of 50.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Smoking cigarettes stimulates immune system activation which hastens the loss of CD4+ lymphocytes. The effect is variable and depends on many factors including genetic susceptibility. But rather than focus on CD4+ lymphocyte counts as surrogate markers it makes more sense to go right to outcome data. A recent VA study showed that HIV infected smokers have decreased quality of life, more respiratory infections, greater risk of chronic lung disease and double the risk of death.

But for fair balance, these are just numbers and don't reflect individual factors. Take my uncle Joe for example. He is one tough guy. He survived multiple wounds from a German machine gun in WWII and has been smoking 3 packs of unfiltered Camels for over 50 years. He looks kind of grey, but not too bad considering the duration of exposure. But I have to say he did project a tough and daring image when I was a kid. Although I tried the unfiltered Camels to be as tough and cool as him, I could never quite pull it off. The little bits of tobacco kept falling out of the end of the cigarette into my mouth and sticking on my lips, yuck, not cool at all.

Previous
Neuropathy from meds?
Next
"Fishy" labs?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.