come off meds?

I have been on meds now for around 4 months. Before I began meds my CD4 was around the 300 mark and VL has been around 56000. my first CD4 results after 1 month was 370. The next results after 3 months was 450.

I am looking at going off meds if my CD4 count gets to be over 500. Is this ok? What are your thoughts on this. I just believe that giving my body a break from the toxicity of the meds will do it more good than harm.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your post.

Many of us in the HIV treatment community also believed that when CD4 counts recovered, the risk of treatment toxicity outweighed the benefit of staying on medications.

To my surprise and others, several large, international studies (including the US-based "SMART" study) showed the contrary. Patients who stopped treatment (compared to continued) were at significantly greater risk of having HIV complications- some serious- including infections and cancer.

For this reason, if you're taking a regimen already that is working well and not causing significant side effects, I'd stay on-- at least until controlled clinical trials give us better guideance about how to best and safely stop.

Hope this helps. BY

Hepatitis C
Protease Inhibitors