Truvada side effects

After starting an IV on a HIV, Hep B, and Hep C positive, I took off my gloves and discovered her blood on my finger and under my finger nail. I did not feel a needle stick. I was seen in the ER and started on Combivir until I could fill a prescription for Truvada. I've taken a total of 3 doses of combivir and 1 dose of truvada and am feeling slightly nauseated, tired and started with the itchy/painful throat and stuffy nose that usually goes along with the sinus infections I get from time to time...could these be side effects of the PEP or should I be concerned about something else?

I have no idea why anyone would have prescribed Combivir AND Truvada together for any reason - let alone following a needlestick exposure. Combivir is AZT plus 3TC. Truvada is tenofovir plus FTC. The 3TC and FTC are very similar drugs and are never taken together. That could explain some of your side effects.

If you really were prescribed these meds together, whomever is managing this exposure is clueless and dangerous. You need to be cared for by someone who knows what they are doing, not someone choosing meds by reading the side of the pens on his desk.

A more reasonable approach would have been to start either one of these meds plus another drug such as Kaletra.

Side effects during post exposure prophylaxis are common and this is another reason to have a knowledgeable clinician help you during this critical period.

Generic HIV meds?
What now after Combivir/Sustiva (stocrin) failure?