Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

VRAL LOAD AND THE CD4
Apr 15, 2007

I have a problem understanding my condition my CD 4 are 2 and my viral load is 1010,wht are the chances of etting oportunist deaseses,I started HIV medication a month ago and the first they diagonied me with HIV they did a CD4count and forgot the viral and this is the scond viral and it wasdone after ihave already stated HIV meds

Response from Dr. Wohl

Your CD4 of 2 is very low and you are certainly at great risk of developing AIDS related infections and conditions. For this reason you need to be on antibiotics to prevent such infections as PCP and MAC, as well as receive appropriate vaccines for other infections.

HIV treatment is the only hope for improving your CD4 cell count. That your viral load was not checked prior to starting meds is a shame but it is likely it was higher than 1010 and that your viral load is on its way down.

My advice, never miss a pill of your HIV meds and be faithful to your medical appointments. In time, your CD4 cell count should rise and you will come out of the danger zone.

DW

Previous
early treatment at CROI
Next
About to start treatments - what about Atripla?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.