Bug Season

Hi Dr. Young,

I didnt really know which forum to put this question, so I just chose you because I always read your post. I find them extremely informational. Here goes. Last week I like everyone else who works at my Elementary School, suddenly came down with that 48 bug (vomited once, diarrhea) but quickly got over it. However, I had taken my Atripla about 2 hours before I first got the urge to vomit. How long does it take for the meds to inter my system? Did I through up my meds? I was afraid to take it again due to over consumption. In the year I have been taking meds, I have never missed a dose. Hope this question makes sense and look forward to your answer

Thanks for your post.

If you took your meds 2 hours before vomiting, you're fine (except for the puking) and don't need to re-dose your medications.

As a general rule of thumb, unless you actually see the pills in the vomit, you don't need to retake the medicines.

Hope this helps and the bug is gone. BY

shots
CNS penetration - Sustiva vs Viramune