Dating an "elite controller"

I am HIV negative and met what appears to be a great guy that happens to be HIV positive. He has been positive for 11 years and his not taking meds and never has been sick. His viral load is undetectable and his CD 4 count is 500. I believe that the name given to these individuals is "elite controllers". My concern is whether or not he will eventually get sick or if he can continue to show no signs of HIV for his entire life. I have researched many articles on this subject matter (and several other concerns) but unfortunately, not found one article that can give me any precise information whether eventually "elite controllers" fill victim to the HIV symptoms. Again, he has been HIV positive for 11 years, never been sick nor is on any meds.

Hello, and thanks for posting.

The reason you probably can't get precise information on long-term outcomes on "elite controllers" is that we don't have 40 year follow-up data yet. Check back in 30 years for the complete answer.

But in the meanwhile, there is comfort in knowing that the great majority of "elite controllers" over a ten year (or so) time horizon do not fall victim to HIV-related problems.

How long they live with Viraday?
should i start meds?