Reinfection and VL Tests

I am HIV positive with VL that is undetectable, no meds(for about three years). My partner is positive person taking meds with a VL which is undetectable. We always play safe, but the other day we were risky. My question is, how long does it take for the virus to show up in the VL test (ie. days, months) if I reinfectected myself or my partner? Also, how common is reinfection? There seems to be varying opinion on the subject. Thanks for answering

Thanks for your post.

Your risk of transmission is going to be considerably lower due to the fact that you both have undetectable viral loads. Superinfection (reinfection) can certainly occur, though some bellieve that the greatest risk is among persons who have been relatively recently (within a few years) infected. Hence, the studies on this topic might yield different rates depending on the at-risk population.

Usually, I'd expect superinfection to be detected at the same timeline as primary infection--namely within the first 1-2 weeks after expsoure.

I hope this helps. BY

am i ready?
Swollen lymph nodes