Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Reinfection and VL Tests
Apr 8, 2007

I am HIV positive with VL that is undetectable, no meds(for about three years). My partner is positive person taking meds with a VL which is undetectable. We always play safe, but the other day we were risky. My question is, how long does it take for the virus to show up in the VL test (ie. days, months) if I reinfectected myself or my partner? Also, how common is reinfection? There seems to be varying opinion on the subject. Thanks for answering

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

Your risk of transmission is going to be considerably lower due to the fact that you both have undetectable viral loads. Superinfection (reinfection) can certainly occur, though some bellieve that the greatest risk is among persons who have been relatively recently (within a few years) infected. Hence, the studies on this topic might yield different rates depending on the at-risk population.

Usually, I'd expect superinfection to be detected at the same timeline as primary infection--namely within the first 1-2 weeks after expsoure.

I hope this helps. BY

Previous
am i ready?
Next
Swollen lymph nodes

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.