am i ready?

Hello, thanks for all the help u give so many people. 40 y/o male here, diagnosed hiv+ 09/06 with CD4 264 and VL 35,000; 11/06 CD4 390 and VL 20,000. shingles outbreak in 02/07 and as of 03/07 my CD4 is 448 and VL 100,000. My MD says not to start meds yet and wants to see me again in July. I am wondering if this is the best course of treatment. I seem to be right on the fence of starting meds, but with one OI (shingles) I wonder if I should be starting meds now. Thank you for any advice you can give me. Keep up the good work!

Thank you for your post and words.

I would tend to agree with your doctor for now.

A single episode of shingles can certainly be no fun, but by itself probably not sufficient reason to start HIV medications. That said, you have several CD4 counts obtained since your diagnosis that are in the 300-400 range- if the next set of labs continue to show a high viral load (>100,000) or if you were to have another shingles event, I'd probably favor staring medications. Since medications are getting much better tolerated, the resistance to starting is getting lower among my patients.

Hope this helps, BY

Waiting for second lab test
Reinfection and VL Tests