Waiting for second lab test

Hello Dr. Young,

I was tested HIV + on Feb 07. I started to seek medical care and help on early March and I got my frist lab test a couple weeks ago with - CD4 count- 363 and Viral Load count - 131,100. The doctor told me that he needs to do another lab test in two months time( mid May) to get more understanding of my data and from there to decide whether I require medications or not.

On top of that, the doctor also advice me to eat healthy and exercise regularly. I have been eating healthy and exercise 4 times a week before i was tested positive.I also have been taking 2 multivitamins per day as well.

My questions are:-

1) Besides taking the multivitamins, could u recommend what other vitamins that I should take?

2) What the chances that you think I will go for medications after my second lab test? I know this is a tough question to answer. Do u think my CD4 counts will go up on the second lab test

Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you

ROB

Hello Rob and thanks for your post.

1. I'm personally not a big believer in vitamin supplements and hold to the notion that for the vast majority of people, the best nutritional supplement is a balanced diet that's rich in fruits and veggies and low in fat. Beyond that, I think that there's a huge marketing campaign to make us all think that one company's pills are better than what you can purchase (and ingest) from your grocer's shelves. That said, a simple multi-vitamin is fine.

2. I think that your it's not highly likely that your labs will show such dramatic changes at your second test (though there's alway positive hope). Unless your CD4s go up dramatically (or assuming that they remain close to the 350 mark), it's time to consider starting HIV medications.

I hope this is helpful. Best of health to you. BY

Detectable Viral Load for the first time
am i ready?