Waiting for second lab test
Apr 7, 2007
Hello Dr. Young,
I was tested HIV + on Feb 07. I started to seek medical care and help on early March and I got my frist lab test a couple weeks ago with - CD4 count- 363 and Viral Load count - 131,100. The doctor told me that he needs to do another lab test in two months time( mid May) to get more understanding of my data and from there to decide whether I require medications or not.
On top of that, the doctor also advice me to eat healthy and exercise regularly. I have been eating healthy and exercise 4 times a week before i was tested positive.I also have been taking 2 multivitamins per day as well.
My questions are:-
1) Besides taking the multivitamins, could u recommend what other vitamins that I should take?
2) What the chances that you think I will go for medications after my second lab test? I know this is a tough question to answer. Do u think my CD4 counts will go up on the second lab test
Looking forward to your reply.
Response from Dr. Young
Hello Rob and thanks for your post.
1. I'm personally not a big believer in vitamin supplements and hold to the notion that for the vast majority of people, the best nutritional supplement is a balanced diet that's rich in fruits and veggies and low in fat. Beyond that, I think that there's a huge marketing campaign to make us all think that one company's pills are better than what you can purchase (and ingest) from your grocer's shelves. That said, a simple multi-vitamin is fine.
2. I think that your it's not highly likely that your labs will show such dramatic changes at your second test (though there's alway positive hope). Unless your CD4s go up dramatically (or assuming that they remain close to the 350 mark), it's time to consider starting HIV medications.
I hope this is helpful. Best of health to you. BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Happens If Shingles Are Not Treated With Medicine?
- What Can Can Cause A False Positive Syphilis Test?
- What Are The Chances Of Getting Herpes Or Warts From A Safe Exposure With A Prostitute?
- What Is The Lifespan Of The Hpv Virus?
- Percentage Of Teens With Herpes
- Syphilis Rash Under Armpit
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.