Nexium w/ Boosted Reyatz

Hi Docs, I am trying to figure out if it is possible to use Nexium along with a boosted-Reyataz regimen containing Videx EC and Emtriva. I have always taken my Reyataz and Emtriva with a meal and then wait a minimum 2 hours before the Videx EC. Assuming these meds go down in the P.M.) and Nexium in the A.M would that work? My VL is < 500 and T4's are 1284. Thanks!

Mark

Bad idea.

Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) like Nexium should not be taken with atazanavir (Reyataz). The PPIs seriously interfere with the absorption of atazanavir (whether or not the 'taz is boosted). Time separation doesn't eliminate the problem.

Either you need to have the underlying need for the antacid fixed or select a different boosted protease inhibitor. Studies of the protease inhibitors fosamprenavir (Lexiva, Telzir) and lopinavir (part of Kaletra) show that PPIs don't interfere with absorption-- these could be alternatives for your atazanavir.

Hope this helps. BY

Atripla and AM diarrhea
prescribed redundancy?