Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How long without meds
Mar 26, 2007

Dear respected doctors, I was diagnosed with HIV now just over 12 yrs. However for the first 8 of these years, I did not think of it and not even monitored my CD4 levels. The last 4 years I have started to take 6 monthly blood tests. Here are the results: Jan 2003: CD4: 450, Viral load: don't know October 2003: CD4 370, Viral Load 12, 800 April 2004: CD4 350, Viral Load 20,400 Feb 2005: CD4 515, Viral Load 23,100 Aug 2005: CD4 418, Viral Load 12,497 April 2005: CD4 475, Viral Load 17,400 November 2006: CD4 418, Viral Load 40,207 Feb 2007: CD4 458, Viral Load 21,350

I have not started any prescription medicine, however, from around April 2004, I started taking Colloidal Silver, have been doing Dr. Clarks Protocol,www.drclark.com and recently have been taking some teas called revivo. My question is in your experience, how long can I stay without meds? Do you have any cases when the person does not need meds ever? or finally one needs to take the meds? Also what is your take on these alternative medicines that I am doing? Any information will be helpful. I think you in advance for your help and guidance.

Response from Dr. Pierone

There are many people living with HIV infection who have a robust immune response against the virus and will not require medication for many years. Some have extremely low levels of HIV and may never need medications. Based on your stable CD4+ lymphocyte counts and fairly low viral load you should be able to stay off HIV medications for quite some time longer. Treatment should be considered when the CD4+ lymphocyte count drops below 350, and it would be an error in judgment to stay off medications when the count drops below 200.

My take on the DrClark site is that it is run by dangerous lunatics who recommend nonsensical treatments for patients with life-threatening conditions. At best, the parasite "Zapper" and her program to cure AIDS and all cancers will simply be a waste of money. At worst, for those gullible enough to use her program instead of proven treatments, it could cost them their health and lives.

Colloidal silver and Revivo certainly have nice advertising copy detailing the health benefits of these products. But there are no clinical trials proving benefit for HIV that I could find.

Thanks for posting and the best of luck to you!

Previous
Vitamins & Hiv meds
Next
i think i have HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.