Pros ans cons of participating in clinical trial

Hello fom Spain I have the possibility of integrating a clinical trial that will compare truvada + viramune with truvada + reyataz for effectiveness, safety, and lipid alterations. I would like to know your opinion about this. I am treatment naive at this point and my CD4 count warrants initiating therapy. I have been pre-sreened for this trial and have to decide which way to go. Isn't viramune an "old" drug ? I am concerned about the rash and possible liver toxicity.

Many thanks for your response

There are indeed pros and cons to entering a clinical trial. On the pro side is the gift you give to increasing understanding about the virus and its treatment. In addition, the study may provide you with medications, labs and medical attention that can directly benefit you.

On the con side, trial enrollment usually means less choice regarding therapy as treatment will be assigned to you. Also, you need to be sure that those in charge are watching out not only for the success of the study but you success as well.

The study you mention is interesting. I am not very concerned about the Viramune. It is a good drug and generally well tolerated. A recent study presented at a US HIV conference found higher than expected rates of failure with tenofovir + 3TC + Viramune all taken once a day (a regimen similar to one you can be assigned to). The people doing the study you are considering have to talk to you about this recent report. If they know nothing of it, that would be a really bad sign and I would not avoid this study.

Children
Lymph Glands in Neck and head