Ignorance is still at large in the gay community.

Since my diagnosis in Dec. 2004 I have been on a whirlwind of issues dues to my status. I gave up dating for a while because frankly needed to come to grips with it for myself before I brought someone that I care to have a relationship with to into this.

I was on a second date with the guy who I liked. We were chatting, eating, drinking; He showed a lot of interest in me and went to a quieter part of the establishment to talk with out the bartender over hearing. At that time I was very direct and to the point and told him of my status. I knew I would get one of two reactions, It's cool, or silence and the stuff that comes after. I got the latter. After a moment of him gulping down his martini he said, So you have the AIDS?

You probably know what happened next, it might have happened to you. During this time friends of mine stopped in and chatted for a bit. My date turned to one of them and said, How can you like someone with the AIDS? Her reaction was firstly he doesnt have AIDS and secondly I love him he is one of my best friends.

And after all of this he was kind of shocked that I didnt go home with him.

The next morning I felt ugly. Ugly in the fact that I let myself undergo all that happened the night before. I am over about it now, but I wanted to send this to your site to announce that there is ignorance with HIV. This disease has divided the gay community especially in the younger Gen X and the Gen Y. Divided to a point that I feel like a minority because I inform partners or would be boy friends throwing it out there, so there is not legal complications down the road.

I would like to say to the readers who have read this so far, learn to appreciate yourself, and for what you have to offer to the world as an individual, not just a disease. Granted there are people who will make remarks like the ones I have stated above, but if you overcome the fear that comes with being HIV+, then you will be stronger than people who will make harsh judgments about you because of it.

Love the site, you keep me informed and add a sense of entertainment, as in the story about the guy who thinks he caught HIV by inserted a beer bottle. Keep of the great work.

Thanks

t-cells viral load
Children