rayatez combined with Epzicom?

Recently I was hospitalized for having liver enzymes over 4000. I've been on a regiment of Rayatez, Epzicom and B-Plex for 5 months. I over heard a conversation between my primary care physcian and the liver expert as it related to my condition. The Liver Expert seem to think that the combination of Rayatez and Epzicom causes damage to the liver. Neither doctor discussed the possibility with me. Is this a regiment used in other patients and if so has their been any other finding of the two drugs causing liver damage.

-Desperate for Answers

Dear desperate, thanks for your post.

The combination abacavir/3TC (Epzicom) and atazanavir (Reyataz) is derived from US DHHS alternatively recommended HIV treatments. We've got quite a few patients on this regimen and have had very good results. One of the reasons for the selection of this is to construct a once-daily unboosted PI regimen for those persons who cannot tolerate ritonavir (Novir).

Epzicom is usually very well tolerated and if you've got 5 months without developing allergic reactions, you're out of the woods for most of the side effect risk. Abacavir-containing regimens shouldn be used with caution in persons with advanced liver disease (such as cirrhosis), though it's not clear if you fall in this category. Atazanavir can cause elevations in bilirubin, but this generally is not associated with liver damage, per se.

The most important (and unanswered by your post) aspect is what exactly caused your liver enzyme elevations-- many things can do this- ranging from medications (HIV meds, Tylenol), viral infections (hepatitis) or other conditions. The key pivotal studies for Epzicom and atazanavir show low rates (<5%) of liver enzyme elevations among persons receiving the meds-- this doesn't mean that the drugs can't cause liver irritation, but rather that the frequency is low.

I'll infer that your liver enzyme levels have returned to normal, despite remaining on your HIV medications. If so, this would imply that the HIV medications alone were not the culprit, but rather something else. Monitoring your labs (including your liver enzymes) is a recommended routine part of HIV care and should continue to be in your case.

Hope this helps, BY

Tetrasilver Tetroxide
understanding "averages"