Early concerns

I was recently diagnosed with HIV January 2007. I've been going back for testing and oth necessary reasons. February 2007 I received my lab results; 140,000 and 330. Should I be worried or just yet?

Thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. I'll always caution patients to get a second set of lab tests to establish baseline values--that said, if repeated tests confirm that your CD4 count is below 350 and your viral load remains high (above 100,000), then there's cause of concern.

When CD4s are below 350, the risk of developing HIV-related complications begins to rise- the rate of CD4 decline is in part related to the viral load; hence with a higher than average viral load, your rate of CD4 loss is predicted (at this time) to be more rapid than average.

Hence, if you were my patient, I begin the process of counseling about HIV treatments and the initiation of HIV medications in the not-so-distant future.

Hope this helps, BY

to start treatment or not
imod iran aids cure claim