Liver problems

I have been on Atripla for about 5 to 6 months. I feel fine with a minimun of side effects -- thanks to my HIV specialist. However, I saw a general practioner for a general check up. She took labs or blood and said that my liver has apossibly mild to moderate damage. She gave me my results from the lab that stated that my AST # is 138 and my Alakaline Phosphatase # is 211 and my ALT # is 161. All of this is Greek to me. She said to show the sheet to my HIV specialist as the mild liver damage could be due to my current HIV medication which again is Atripla. Do you think that I am in danger of developing a serious liver disease?

The liver tests she checked are called transaminases (more Greek). These are enzymes that are inside the liver cells. When they are damaged, the enzymes leak into the bloodstream. A bunch of things can make the liver tests increase including medications, hepatitis (like hep A, B or C), alcohol and non-infectious diseases of the liver.

To determine if the liver tests are elevated due to Atripla it would be important to know if these tests have been higer than normal prior to starting this med. Your HIV specialist will know. If this is a new finding I would be concerned that the efavirenz within the Atripla is causing the problem. Regardless, your doc will need to make sure there is not another reason also at work such as one of those hepatitis viruses. This can be done with a blood test.

The level of transaminase elevation is not very high so it is unlikely there is major damage happening. The numbers should be rechecked.

Re: Unboosted
Atripla split dose?