Viral Load is undetectable, but my CD4 counts are dropping

Recently, my doctor and I have noticed that while my viral load remains undetectable, my CD4 levels have dropped steadily from around 500 to around 295. Is this common? Should I switch to other meds? I am currently taking Reyataz, Epivir and Videx. I have been HIV+ since 1983 and I am 60 years old.

Hello, and thanks for posting.

One of the important indicators of immune function is the CD4+ lymphocyte count percentage. Before drawing any conclusions about a CD4+ lymphocyte count trend it is critical to look at the percentage to see if the trend is confirmed. If the percentage is going down as well then there may be a problem, but if not, the CD4+ count will usually head back up on repeat determinations.

Feel free to repost with this additional information.

unboosted
Re: Unboosted