Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

when to take meds
Mar 18, 2007

My wife and I were recently diagnosed has having HIV. My T cell count is 362 but my wife's is 312. The doctor prescribed purbac an anti microbial and some polybion. he doesnt seam to think its time to start taking antiretroviral unless there is a further drop in T Cell count for both my wife and I. was this a correct stance to take. Is it possible that our T Cell count could increase?

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello, and thanks for posting.

The typical starting CD4+ lymphocyte count for antiretroviral therapy is 350 so you and your wife are right about there. But it is best to have at least one more set of blood tests before making a treatment decision. Sometimes the CD4+ lymphocyte count does increase, although the typical long-term trend off therapy is downward.

Purbac is a sulfa-based antibiotic and usually is not necessary until the CD4+ lymphocyte count drops below 200, but your doctor may have had another reason for prescribing it. Polybion is a multivitamin for general use.

Let us know how things turn out on follow-up testing and best of luck to the two of you!

Previous
C Diff problems
Next
K Pax vitamin?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.