when to take meds

My wife and I were recently diagnosed has having HIV. My T cell count is 362 but my wife's is 312. The doctor prescribed purbac an anti microbial and some polybion. he doesnt seam to think its time to start taking antiretroviral unless there is a further drop in T Cell count for both my wife and I. was this a correct stance to take. Is it possible that our T Cell count could increase?

Hello, and thanks for posting.

The typical starting CD4+ lymphocyte count for antiretroviral therapy is 350 so you and your wife are right about there. But it is best to have at least one more set of blood tests before making a treatment decision. Sometimes the CD4+ lymphocyte count does increase, although the typical long-term trend off therapy is downward.

Purbac is a sulfa-based antibiotic and usually is not necessary until the CD4+ lymphocyte count drops below 200, but your doctor may have had another reason for prescribing it. Polybion is a multivitamin for general use.

Let us know how things turn out on follow-up testing and best of luck to the two of you!

C Diff problems
K Pax vitamin?