Change from Trizivir to Epzicom

I been taking Trizivir and Virumune as my first regimine for the past two years. As a 51 year old mom positive since 1988, I wonder if my fatigue might be reduced switching to Epzicom and Viramune. Back in the day, AZT was not a good treatment since it was so new. I may harbor some unkind feelings based on that fact alone :)

I wonder if this switch would ruin future sequences for me? My T cells came from 40 to 750 and my vl came from gazillions to undetectable.

Is a BIG DEAL to drop the AZT? I'd love to know if this is the source of my mind numbing fatigue. I have a 10 year old and elderly parents, so Sustiva will not be an option for me in the near future.

Thanks for all your great work.

I agree with you that AZT could be causing your fatigue, especially if the fatigue started after you began AZT. Dropping the AZT by swithcing to Epzicom should be safe.

I do not agree with you about AZT being a not good drug or that you can not take Sustiva because you are a parent and daughter.

AZT got a bad wrap because it was not pwerful enough alone to save lives. People were started on this med too late and when they died - as they would have without the drug - AZT was blamed. In addition, we used to use much higher doses which caused more adverse effects.

As far as Sustiva, most people taking this drug do not have major problems and the vast majority stay on the med. Certainly, for many the first week or so may involve some dizziness and vivid dreams and for a few these symptoms persist. However, I have very busy people including doctors, bank workers and, yes, even parents of young kids (toughest job of all) in my practice who function at high levels without problems while on Sustiva. In your case, you are on Viramune and doing well so the chance that you will ever need Sustiva, its sister drug, is low.

So, talk to your doc about changing from Trizivir+Viramune to Epzicom+Viramune.

Newly Diagnosed Questions
Medical Research