already resistant?

Dear Dr. Wohl,

HIV infection is going unbelievable fast in my life. I am sure that I was infected in July'03, as it was the only risk exposition that I had (a condom broke at the wrong moment :_-( . I started on efv+azt+3tc almost two years after since my viral load was around 80000 and my cd4 droping down to 200. I was undectable up to Dec06, when HIV rebound and my viral reached 580 (cd4 330). I retested my vl in Mar'07 and now it is 4200 (cd4 360, 27 %). I am really very scared about how fast my first regiment failed. I have never forgotten any pill and I took all of them at the time. Now my doctor asked for me a genotype exam, however, it will take around 3 months for getting the results (I am in Brazil). I am really desperate! Everything is going too fast... I am still on my meds. Waiting is the better choice? Could you please be so kind and give me an advice? Looking forward to hearing from you! Bob

Dear Bob,

The medications that you were taking are very good and since you were taking your medications as directed, I suspect you may have been infected with a virus that was resistant to one or more of these drugs.

If you can switch to another combination - such as tenofovir + 3TC (or FTC) + Kaletra or other ritonavir boosted protease inhibitor, I would. You risk developing further drug resistance if you stay on your failing regimen.

Would early treatment help me?
Allergic Reaction to Bactrim