Atripla vs truvada/boosted atazanavir

I have through personal experience and anecdotal evidence from a number of friends and acquiantances to have to add a strong word of caution to Dr Pierone's recommendation of Atripla over truvada/boosted Atazanvir.

If you have any repeat ANY history of mental health problems avoid any regimen including Efavirenz.

I don't believe that there is currently any better tolerated regimen than Truvada/ATZ. I think that the medical world has tended to downplay to side effects of EFV. Sure many people can tolerate it, but I think that at least 50% of people taking it suffer from side effects that "Just ain't worth the candle"

Nothing's perfect in this world, but I think that anything containing EFV should be considered only if absolutely necessary. The side effects are immediate and dramatic, the (actually rather enjoyable) dreams but they quickly fade and are slowly in so many cases replaced by depression, paranoia, reduced mental faculty..... -And this degradation happens so slowly that you don't realise that it's happening to you. You concentrate on Wow! I don't need 14 hours sleep a day any more! I am so much better, that you faile to notice the insidious slower acting side effects which willl gradually drive you mad.......

My own doctor avoids presribing it unless absolutely necessary, I insisted on having it, but after 3 months is drove me to the point of a nervous breakdown. And (in the UK at least) Atazanavir has been sharply reduced in price in the last few weeks.

Here is the link to the post that discusses some of the potential challenges with Atripla (actually the efavirenz component of Atripla) that you referred to.

I disagree with your assessment of the severity of the side effect profile of efavirenz (Sustiva). There is no question that some people have neuro-cognitive side effects which can be quite severe, just as in your case. But your experience, and the similar reactions that your friends had, does not mean that more than 50 percent of people will have such problems. This is simply not what is seen in the real world usage of this agent.

That said, I agree that this agent should be used with caution in persons with mental health issues with careful attention to follow-up assessment and monitoring.

Thanks for posting.

Atripla resonse
after chilbirth