Undetectable Viral Load

I've been HIV now for 12 yrs. At this time my cd/4 are at 492 with undetectable viral load and no meds. What do you suggest i do? When should i start on meds? I feel absolutely great but at times i'm scared. Is my situation normal as to the undetectable viral load and cd/4?

Thanks for your post.

You are in the fortunate minority of patients whose immune system appears to controlled HIV to very low levels (undetectable viral load). This situation likely affects less than 1% of HIV-infected persons.

Assuming that your really asymptomatic, with a CD4 count above 350, there's no immediate (or probably longer-term) need to start HIV medications. This doesn't mean that you should ignore your health- but rather that HIV is unlikely to cause significant drops in CD4s in the near future; indeed, you're a long-term non-progressor.

It would appear that understanding your fear and apprehension deserves attention-- why exactly are you scared? Is it because your not taking medications, or because of the low viral load? Talk to your HIV treater about your concerns, getting answers should help.

Feel free to write back with any questions. In the meanwhile, best of health to you. BY

Combivir and Viramune
Healthy "Normal?"