Meth and Meds

I read the question regarding meth and meds and while I agree with your response, I have heard the theory that crystal methamphetamine has a temporary effect on increases the immune response. This however, does not counter the longer term and much more destructive effects that the drug has on the liver and brain. The reader asked about studying these effects which is a bit scary unless it were a study of the related ADHD medications and their effect on HIV/AIDS. I saw this was posted on strange but true and just wanted to add that I don't think the question is quite as strange among HIV-positive men and physicians who specialize in treating HIV-positive men as you may think. Thanks for posting this question and for your response.

Thanks for your post.

I really didn't intend this to become a thread about meth use; but agree with you that there are many persons who search for alternative treatments for HIV. The premature and frankly poorly supported buzz about selenenium is one such strategy. Meth is a step in a far more dangerous direction, for even if immune effects were to be shown, the addictive potential far outstrips benefit.

I live in a very conservative treatment world- one where scientifically proven (if not perfect) HIV medications can restore immune function, health and quality of life to the vast majority of persons who have access and have effectively eliminated pediatric AIDS in the developed world.

While once a time for desperate experimentation, we no longer need to indure such risk. This month (March 2007) marks the 20th year of medications that specifically target HIV. Our communities owe a great thanks to the many persons who volunteered their bodies and health in the name of learning about safe (and the not-so-safe) chemicals that we now know as HIV medications.

Best of health to you. BY

Regarding Meth use - for ANY reason!!
Therapy