ELEVATED VALUE OF SGOT

I have completed 11 months of treatment for HCV with REBETOL and PEGASYS (combination of rivabirin and interferon 2a). PCR test has shown 0 amount of the virus . Having completed the therapy,I did a routine blood tests which showed elevated value of SGOT (44 U/L, 4 units above normal). Is it a side effect of completing my therapy? Could it be a sign of the virus still being present? I wold appreciate your comments. Thank you in advance.

Thanks for your post.

First off, your HCV labs indicate that you've had a very nice virologic response to the Peg/ribavirin treatment (undetectable viral load).

Your liver function test is just barely above the upper limit of normal, I wouldn't conclude that this is a sign of the virus (actually, the viral load test is far more specific and sensitive). Small elevations in liver function tests are not uncommon among persons who are co-infected with HCV and HIV (or HIV alone, for that matter) and generally are not of great medical significance. Indeed, a SGOT of 44 could come from having a drink or a Tylenol- it is the trend in these labs that probably has more value, where increasing SGOT or SGPTs would be of greater concern.

When in doubt, I'd simply repeat the tests to confirm.

Hope this helps. BY

Meth and Meds
Regarding Meth use - for ANY reason!!